|Year ended 30 June 2020||Year ended 30 June 2019||Change|
|Total energy consumption data – direct (kwh)||63,440,850||74,844,330||(15)%|
|Total energy consumption data – indirect (kwh)||55,798,051||68,690,116||(19)%|
|Fleet fuel card usage (litres)||330,161||444,825||(26)%|
|MSC certified sustainable seafood as a % of total seafood purchased||90%||70%||20ppt|
|Hazardous waste generation (tonnes)||2.53||1.89||34%|
|Non-recycled waste generation (tonnes)||228||326||(30)%|
|Waste recycled (tonnes)||2,132||2,894||(26)%|
|Total costs of environmental fines and penalties||nil||nil||-|
|Percentage of sites covered by recognised environmental management systems such as ISO14001 or EMAS||nil||nil||-|
|Total water usage (m3)||237,306||301,790||(21)%|
An operational control approach has been used to define the Greenhouse Gas (“GHG”) emissions boundary, as defined in Defra’s latest environmental reporting guidelines: “Your organisation has operational control over an operation if it, or one of its subsidiaries, has the full authority to introduce and implement its operating policies at the operation”.
For Rank this captures emissions associated with the operation of all our buildings plus company-owned and leased transport.
All of Rank’s global operations are covered, comprising operations in the UK and Spain except for Stride which was acquired part way through the reporting period. Stride will be included from next year when a full year of data will be available.
All material scope one and two emissions are included. These include emissions associated with:
This report was calculated using the methodology set out in Environmental Reporting Guidelines including streamlined energy and carbon reporting guidance, published by the UK Government in January 2019.
Emissions factors are taken from the UK Government emissions factor update published in July 2020. There are no notable omissions from the mandatory scope 1 and 2 emissions. 2% of emissions are based on estimated data.
|Ref.||Emissions source||2019/20||2018/19||% of 2019/20 total||change|
|A2||Road Travel (kWh)||3,352,251||4,548,901||3%||(26)%|
|Emissions source||2019/20||2018/19||% of 2019/20 total||change|
|Road Travel (kWh)||3,352,251||4,548,901||3%||(26)%|
|Emissions source||2019/20||2018/19||% of 2019/20 total||change vs last year|
For purposes of baselining and ongoing comparison, it is required to express the GHG emissions using a carbon intensity metric. The intensity metric chosen is £m NGR. Rank’s NGR 2019/20 was £638.1m, giving an intensity of 41.0 tCO2e per £m NGR, 27% lower than last year.
|A1||Fuel combustion (stationary): Gas||11,048||42.2%||13,218||36.9%|
|A2||Fuel combustion (mobile): Transport Fuel||824||3.2%||1,135||3.2%|
|B||Facility operation: F-gases||217||0.8%||217||0.6%|
|Emissions Intensity (tCO2e per £m revenue)||41.0||-||56.1||-|
|Fuel combustion (stationary): Gas||10,772||104||10,876|
|Fuel combustion (mobile): Transport Fuel||824||n/a||824|
|Facility Operation: F-gases||217||n/a||217|
|Materials use and waste||4,456||n/a||4,456|
1. CO2e is a universal unit of measurement used to indicate the global warming of greenhouse gases expressed in terms of global warming potential of one unit of carbon dioxide.
2. The prior year Tonnes of CO2e/£m revenue was calculated using GGR, to ensure consistency year on year the prior year number has been recalculated using NGR.
3. Well-to-tank emissions for fuels (electricity, gas, petrol, diesel and aviation fuel), which would sit within scope 3, are not included in the report.
4. The imposition of COVID-19 restrictions which required the closure of the UK venues from 23 March to beyond 30 June 2019 has accounted for much of the apparent reduction in UK emissions during 2019/20.
5. Stride Gaming plc is excluded. Rank acquired Stride part way through the reporting period, Stride will be included from next year when a full year of data will be available.
6. F-gas has been estimated due to challenges associated with COVID-19. Third-party electricity and gas data could also not be collected therefore the data for those sites is not included in this report.
Rank has been a member since June 2020.